Stories for Earth relies on contributions from our listeners and readers to produce high quality, in-depth content. If you buy something using the links on our website, we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. For more information, see our Affiliate Disclosure.
In January, I had the chance to sit down with Canadian science fiction and fantasy author Craig Russell to talk about his 2016 novel Fragment. Fragment follows a cast of characters ranging from scientists to naval officers to TV news anchors as they’re caught in the aftermath of an Antarctic ice sheet the size of France breaking off into the ocean.
In this edited version of our 2-hour conversation, Craig and I discuss the science of ice, Craig’s personal experiences in the Canadian Arctic, and climate denialism among heads of state. Craig was also kind enough to share a reading from Fragment. Listen to the full 2-hour, unedited podcast by becoming a member on Patreon.
“Fragment” by Craig Russell
- Buy from Craig’s local bookstore, McNally Robinson, from $19.95: https://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/9781771871112/craig-russell/fragment
- Buy on Bookshop from $19.95 (affiliate): https://bookshop.org/a/140/9781771871112
- Official website: https://craigrussell.info/
- Craig on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craig-Russell-Canadian-writer-405890166288189/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
- Craig on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4509831.Craig_Russell
What you can do to help
Add your voice in telling President Biden to stop Line 3, a proposed pipeline expansion that would bring dirty tar sands oil from Alberta, Canada to Superior, Wisconsin. More information on how you can get involved here: https://www.stopline3.org/
- “The Overstory” by Richard Powers with Lovis Geier
- “Weather” by Jenny Offill
- Interview: Joel Burcat, Author of “Amid Rage”